Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Some things just happen for a reason

So with all of the drama (and I do mean drama, like Hills style) surrounding the teaching job(s) and my current job and the dilemma of whether to go or stay (which in the end was decided for me) I started to wonder if there was something bigger that was working for me/against me/whatever to keep me here. Today I am pretty much convinced that the universe was conspiring for me. Two weeks ago, I received word from Inc. Magazine that my company was awarded a spot on the Inc. 5,000 list (a list of the 5,000 fastest growing, privately held companies in the US). I was the person who submitted our company for this accolade and I also handled all of the media relations aspects of our submission. Last Friday, while I was on vacation, I received notice that a $7 million dollar proposal that I was the proposal manager for was awarded to my company. Today I found out we were awarded another $400K proposal that I helped write back in April. This is now the 5th proposal that I helped create that we’ve been awarded (I am 5 for 5 so far!) I just finished creating a marketing campaign for our first release of a new commercial software product – the campaign launches in September. All I need to do is position us to sell 100 software licenses to make this product the most successful commercial endeavor this company has ever experienced (seems easy enough). And I did so well with the first marketing campaign that I was just assigned a new commercial campaign for another product we are launching in late August. Lastly, I finally convinced my boss to let me create a media kit and sell sheets for our open-source products and about the company so we can start directly marketing ourselves to an outside community of researchers. I am really excited about this – I get to work on it all this Fall after I finish launching the last parts of our new website (I’ve been doing that for 6 months now…) So while I am not in love with my job EVERYday things are getting SO much better. And I bonus in December based on my contributions to the company; so far the proposals that I’ve contributed to have brought in nearly $3 million (directly to the company). Thank goodness I was wary about the positions at my "dream school" I don't know why I was wary but I was and because of my trepidation my future coworkers' true colors came out in ways I couldn't even imagine. I feel so blessed to actually work in a place where I am truly wanted and I am so grateful to have (for once) made the right decision. Or maybe the decision was made for me? Either way, I'm happy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to TOP  

Pin It button on image hover