Thursday, August 9, 2012

Homemade Play Dough

The kids have a sitter that comes twice a week while I run around to vendor meetings and such for the new house. I try to leave them activities to do each time their sitter comes, both so she can keep them occupied and so they have some fun while mama's away.

This week I made them up a bunch of play dough and had Joe swing by Wally World on his way home from work to pick up a cookie cutter set for the monkeys. He scored this 101-piece set for ten bucks. I'm so proud of him.


I sorted out all of the pieces so I can break them out at different times of the year (letters, numbers, Valentine's Day, Christmas, Halloween, etc.) and left a bag of the random shapes and animals out for the kids this week.

I surfed Pinterest for a few recipes and went along with the most common cooktop method. The dough came out great and I'm hoping the kids get a kick out of playing with it. I'm also hoping that it's nice outside so they can keep their mess contained to the spaces I can clean with a hose. Repeat after me: "fun does not have to equal mess". (At least that's what I keep telling myself.)

Play Dough Recipe


  • 1 cup flour 
  • 1 cup water 
  • 1/4 cup salt 
  • 2 tsp. cream of tartar 
  • 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil 
  • food coloring 
Dump all the ingredients into a pot and whisk them together.


Cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture begins to form a ball. Do not panic when it seems to start forming lumps, this is what happens right before it turns into a ball.


I kept the food coloring out of the pot so I only had to make one batch to get multiple colors. Once the dough was formed, I threw it in my KitchenAid stand mixer with the dough horn and some food coloring to "knead" the dough and mix in the color. But I didn't have enough dough to actually make the KitchenAid do any kneading, so I ended up working in the dye with my hands which are a little pink and green after the fact. Sweet. Note to self: next time cook in two different pots and add dye in while dough is still in liquid form.


Once it forms a ball, let it cool and knead it with your hands until it's soft. Then store it in a sealed container or ziploc bag. Supposedly the dough will last for up to six months. I'll be happy if it lasts for six weeks.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to TOP  

Pin It button on image hover