Tuesday, September 22, 2009

I Really Did It

I'm still trying to get over the fact that I actually ran a half marathon. I didn't have any confidence in myself that I could do this, or that I could finish. But I got out there and tried my hardest and I'm so proud of the result. Did I break any records? Not a chance. But I learned so much about myself (and about racing, who knew?!)

Official results: I came in 238 out of 431 runners with a chip time of 2:19:17 (the equivalent to a 10:38 pace). At just past the the halfway point (6.7 miles) I clocked in at 1:04:23 or a 9:35 pace.

I'm super excited to have just finished and I'm already looking toward my next run.

What I'll do differently next time:

  • I need to find a new training program, hands down. I don't think the training program I used prepared me well enough for the distances past the 10 mile mark.
  • Buy a water belt and use it. I stopped at the water stations at mile markers 9, 10 and 11. I couldn't run and drink from the big cups so I had to stop and slug it back, and I was choking and it was bad.
  • Eat a ton of carbs the day before the race. Oh my goodness, by mile 11 I was gassed. I literally had nothing left. My mind could have run 10 more miles, my body, no so much.
  • Make a better playlist for running distance. Surprisingly I skipped over anything with a heavy or fast beat. I ran to Counting Crows, Train, Dave Matthews and Genesis and I loved the songs when I was able to finally skip to them!
I'm hoping to run the Covered Bridges half marathon next. It's a ways away, so in the meantime I'm going to find something else to train for, but that's so hard to do up here in the winter.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to TOP  

Pin It button on image hover