Wednesday, August 26, 2009

is now the best time to make big changes?

My job is less than fulfilling. I know, I know, I should be thanking my lucky stars to have a stable job in this economy. Blah, blah, blah. But it's hard to be excited about doing something for 40 hours a week that you literally get nothing out of. I'm not challenged here, I'm bored 96% of the time and I don't see my position growing.

There are a lot of benefits to my current position. Flexible hours, 6 weeks paid time off, end of year bonuses, the office is literally 5 miles from my house. But none of the benefits have to do with job satisfaction. I have a master's degree that remains completely unused. And for that reason I applied for several jobs on a whim back in June.

Two weeks ago I got a phone call about a particular job at a public university local to us (these are not easy jobs to come by, as they are state positions and have excellent benefits). Lo and behold yesterday was my first interview and, if I do say so myself, I nailed it. I'm trying not to get too excited. Second round interviews will be arranged with the Dean by the end of next week.

Which begs the question, is now a good time to be switching careers? Joe's job is already very time consuming. And with all of this baby stuff (and my blood tests, frequent doctor's appointments, etc.) is now really a good time to jump ship? I may be bored here, but I have a lot of flexibility and I've already earned my stripes.

I guess this isn't something I should worry about until after I get an offer. But I don't know how to not worry about things.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to TOP  

Pin It button on image hover