Sunday, April 18, 2010

Weeks 12 & 13 Resolution Recipe Review

Barbecue Shrimp and Sugar Snap Pasta Salad

I love it when the weather gets warm and we can break out the grill. This is a favorite recipe for warmer weather. It's super quick and easy to make and ridiculously low cal and filling.


This recipe taught me that I don't like the texture of shiitake mushrooms. Oh well. Husband made it so I can't speak to the ease of cooking. It tasted good, but was calorically dense. I ate more than I was supposed to (what else is new?). As with pasta dishes I just don't get enough out of rice dishes (as a main course) to love them. I like to eat and feel full, otherwise I'm a pretty salty little girl who is out of calories and has too many hours left in the day.

Lemon-Grilled Chicken & Bulgur Salad 

We made this recipe for the first time in Week 6. It didn't do so well without the grill, but made for a great recipe with the grill. I don't know if you're familiar with Clean Eating Magazine or whathaveyou, but it's a total piece of shit. I mean terrible editing, typos everywhere, and jacked up recipes that say this dish is X number of calories when it's really X to the third power.

This is one of those recipes. If you actually enter all of the ingredients into a calorie counter (which I did, because I'm OCD) and the divide by four the total number of calories is 318, not 280. The recipe also calls for a total of 8 oz of chicken, says it's serves four but also says a serving is 1 cup of bulgur and 4 oz of chicken. But you've only made 8 oz. of chicken so 8 divided by 4 is 2 - already makes no sense. Oh and the recipe doesn't make 4 cups of bulgur it only makes three.

So basically there's no rhyme or reason to this and if you just eat to eat you will like this recipe, but if you're like me and you like to control your food all this recipe will do is make you crazy.

Chicken Tacos


{ my lazy suzan is open and my kitchen is a hot mess. welcome to real life }

This is actually a little recipe the husband and I cooked up ourselves. We use romaine lettuces leaves (whole) as taco shells. We marinade our chicken in Goya Mojo and then grill it, then I put out a bunch of little dishes filled with taco toppings (i.e. avocado, kidney beans, cheese, tomatoes, salsa). Super yum, filling, low cal. And it forces us to eat in a dining room rather than in front of the TV which makes for a nice meal.

Rounded out the week with a homemade greek salad with chicken. For this we just marinade chicken in lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil. Dice it up over romaine lettuce and throw on some reduced fat feta, kalamata olives, cucumbers, tomatoes and a light vinaigrette.

I didn't cook quite as often as I was supposed to over these last two weeks, but we ate well so I can't complain.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to TOP  

Pin It button on image hover