Sunday, April 25, 2010

Pressing the Issue

It's no secret that my job is the pits. Over the last two years I've interviewed several times and on a few occasions I've gotten a job offer, but our infertility and the flexibility at my current company has kept me from making a final leap. It's hard to be somewhere 40+ hours a week and not be happy. And I've reached a point where it's time to either stop complaining and deal with things status quo or make a move that will get me out of there.

So I'm making a move. I have a few classes that I'd like to take that will complete a degree in web design and development (something I do for work already) and I would like to continue working as a tech writer (something I also do already).

I think there's a freelance market for someone who is able to produce websites and blogs; write marketing copy, sell sheets, html emails and web copy; and produce white papers, case studies and technical newsletters.

Or at least I hope there's a market for that?

I don't even know how to go about getting business. If you've opened your own business (is that even what I'm doing?) or if you work as a freelancer, I'd love any tips and advice you are willing to share.

In the meantime, I'm polishing up my resume and waiting until my latest batch of printed collateral comes in to round out my portfolio. And I'm scared to death, but I think if I can do this and even be marginally successful, it will be worth it.

And as part of my delusions of grandeur I'm looking at calling cards on Etsy and wondering what I should put on them? Freelance writer? Freelance writer, editor and web developer? Wordsmith and Technical Jargon Expert? Master of the Universe? I don't even know.

I need something that says I'm stylish but not over-embellished.

{ ohsmile }

Fresh and succinct.


 And, most of all, capable.


Paper Source has some interesting debut cards and I like that they're square, although Joe says I should go with a traditional shaped card. (Thoughts?)

I haven't found what I'm looking for yet, but I think there's time. Wish me luck.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to TOP  

Pin It button on image hover