Friday, February 5, 2010

It's Over

Yesterday we went in for our first ultrasound (after a series of seriously low betas) and we were able to see the gestational sac but it was very small and empty. They believe the baby stopped developing somewhere between 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 weeks.

Even after all of the blood work we had done, and all of the warning signs, I think we were still holding out hope for a miracle. I can say with all honesty as prepared as we were, nothing can prepare you for that moment.

Right now we have to wait to see if my body will terminate the pregnancy on its own or if I'll need medical support (i.e. a shot of methotrexate) for this to happen. We were told that the whole process from start to finish can take up to two weeks.

We are devastated that this is how our very first pregnancy is ending. Although we are extremely relieved that the pregnancy was not ectopic and that my health was never in question. We have already started talking about our plans for changing things up next time. I'll post about that soon. Right now I'm going to curl up with a GIANT mug of coffee for the first time in three months.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to TOP  

Pin It button on image hover