Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Retrieval and Fertilization Report

Tuesday was my retrieval date, and they were able to retrieve 13 eggs. The procedure wasn't bad at all, and I was very nervous. The hardest part was setting up the IV. I had a nurse in training do it the first time and she didn't push the lead far enough into the vein, so my IV drip wasn't working. I had to be restuck and I was uncomfortable.

I remember being very cold and shaking (possibly from being in nothing but a hospital gown, possibly from nerves or maybe it was just the cold IV liquid going into my body?). I remember seeing the nurses put the pulse ox monitor on my finger and the next thing I knew I was in a different room and my husband and doctor were talking. I heard the number 13 and then fell back asleep for who knows how long.

I kind of remember getting dressed and saying goodbye to the nurses as we were leaving the office. I remember opening my eyes and seeing our house, but I don't remember getting out of the car, taking off my coat or lying down. I pretty much slept all day yesterday and went to bed last night without any problem.

The embryologist called at 7:30 this morning and my darn arm was asleep. I was so nervous I wouldn't be able to write down everything she said, but she went super slow and I got everything.

Of the 13 eggs retrieved only 6 were mature. The embryologist said that I can't even think about the fact that there were 13 as they were only expecting 6 or 7 eggs. The others that were retrieved were itty bitty (she called them "outliers").

They did ICSI on all 6 mature eggs. Of the 6 mature that I had 2 are good quality, 2 are fair quality and 2 are poor quality.

So far my 4 good/fair have fertilized. My 2 poor have not, but they are keeping them in the incu to see if something changes over the next 48 hours.

They're next to positive that I will be doing a 3DT on Friday morning.

At first I was disappointed, but the embryologist (who is a straight shooter) told me that this was nothing to be sad about and that I did great. That 4 fertilized eggs is a good thing.

And now we wait again. I won't have any more news on my embryos until Friday morning when we go in for our transfer (at 6:45 a.m.) I am scared to have too much hope, but I can't help but be excited.

There is no use trying, said Alice; one can't believe impossible things. 
I dare say you haven't had much practice, said the Queen. 
When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. 
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
(Lewis Carroll)

Today I believe in these six impossible things that God has given me.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to TOP  

Pin It button on image hover